First Real Job

0 Comments
Studying my current course is rather hectic and stressful. For the first two years of my course, my classes and exam schedule follows Cardiff University academic calendar. This means I have exams and tests the same time the students in Cardiff do as well as have the same length of classes as them. The thing about the UK system is the first semester and the second semester of the academic year is done continuously in the sense that after finals for the first semester we might have a short break of a week or two before the next semester begins. After second semester finals then we have a long stretch of holidays aka the summer holidays. 

Right now, I am enjoying my first ever summer break for around 3 months plus. I am really excited to be having a long stretch of break where I can do whatever I want. It's almost a month since my holidays started and I've been having a blast doing absolutely nothing but enjoying my time. But fun can only bring that much entertainment before it becomes a complete and utter bore.

I went part-time job hunting and I got accepted for a few. I didn't apply for any jobs related to my field of study because I didn't think most pharmacies would choose to hire a Year 1 pharmacy student since we barely know anything at all. And I wasn't really sure if community pharmacy was the area I wanted to work in after graduating. I chose typical part-time jobs like becoming a service crew/kitchen crew in a restaurant, joining Starbucks as a barista and an office job.

I ended up working in an office in my university itself and I basically do data entry and face the computer the entire day which is not much of a problem for someone like me who spends averagely 8 hours or more in front of the computer screen on days where I have nothing to do. The job pays pretty well for a part-time student. RM 5 per hour is the usual rate at the moment. Except for Starbucks because I think they're rate is a little bit higher.

Working in the office feels pretty cool to be honest. For once I actually feel like the time I spend doing things in front of the computer is worth it. I'm making money with each passing hour :D

Most people will say keying in data is a mundane and boring job which I do agree. After keying in stacks and stacks of data it gets a little redundant. But the environment in the office isn't that bad. I mean, my supervisor, Ms. Jocelyn is really nice. She's not very strict and she gives us quite a lot of freedom and flexibility. Since I am a part-time helper, I can choose when I want to come in and when I want to leave which is pretty convenient. I can even go out any time while working if say, I wanted to get coffee. 

On my first day of work, the whole of Selangor state was facing the bad haze situation and all schools were ordered to close for the day by the MOE. My university cancelled all classes and most exams for the days too. Since it was my first day, I still had to show up for work. In the morning, the haze was still quite okay but towards the afternoon it became so bad that the lake couldn't even be seen from a certain distance. I stupidly didn't have any surgical mask with me and I figured I'll be coughing my way back home in the evening. But I didn't because Ms. Jocelyn came to us helpers with a box of masks and handed each of us one :)

I have to admit that working and earning money feels pretty good. Although I will not prioritize earning money at the moment. I still have some serious studying to go through before I can prioritize the money making phase. 

Mum's pretty happy to know that I'm not gallivanting around KL and spending money like it's water and that I am not wasting my summer holidays there just by enjoying life. She even told me what my first RM 150 will go to and I have not even received my first pay check yet. I'm definitely looking forward to learning how to save up my earnings because Lord knows I need a serious lesson on being thrifty. 


True that. 


Hopefully after all the working 
I'll treasure the value of money more
Spend lesser and wisely
But an occasional splurge or two wouldn't hurt
Yes, I am a semi-shopaholic
But hey, I'm learning and trying to improve myself
Love love love always
 

-xxlynnalurve


You may also like

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.

Facebook

Followers